Coping with Mental Illness
Offered on an outpatient basis on the Mission Viejo campus of Mission Hospital, the Mind & Memory Program (MMP) provides a structured program of therapy. The first of its kind in the country, this program is designed to address the special needs of individuals with memory concerns who in addition suffer from some type of mental health issue, such as dementia and depression, PTSD and dementia and bipolar disorder and memory loss. Mind & Memory Program is a partnership between Alzheimer’s Family Center and Mission Hospital.
Benefits of the Program
Our program is designed to help people with a dementia and a psychological disorder to achieve their optimal level of mental health. Coming to MMP provides structure, cognitive stimulation, social interaction, and a purpose, and may help participants:
- Experience an improvement in overall mood, function and concentration
- Feel a decrease in symptoms of depression or anxiety
- Achieve specific, individualized treatment goals such as improved communication, independence and coping skills
- Enjoy an improvement in family relationships through improved symptom management and coping
- Enhance relationships and make new friends through increased socialization
Caregivers can rest assured knowing that their family member is in a supportive, caring environment designed to expertly address each participant’s unique issues and maintain their dignity.
In the Mind & Memory Program, group therapy, individualized treatment and enrichment activities play an important role in this highly therapeutic program. Our experienced staff provides the following services in addition to a structured program tailored to each participant:
- Crisis intervention
- Diagnosis of psychiatric disorders
- Psychological Evaluations
- Medication Management
- Family Therapy
- Relaxation/Stress Management
- Anger Management
- Healthy Relationships
- Co-occurring Disorders
- Life Skills
- Communications Skills
- Grief and Loss Support
- Conflict Management
- Confidence Building
Some of the more common memory disorders we treat include:
- Alzheimer’s Disease
- Mild Cognitive Impairment (MCI)
- Early Onset Alzheimer’s
- Vascular Dementia (VD)
- Parkinson’s Disease
In addition, our patients may suffer from any one of the following:
- Depression/Major Depressive Disorder
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
Services are provided by:
- A neurologist
- Case managers
- Others who specialize in caring for people with a dual diagnosis.
Onsite snacks and meals are included in the cost of the program.
For more information about the program, please call (714) 593-9630.
Mind & Memory Program Newsletters: