Coping with Mental Illness
Offered on an outpatient basis on the Mission Viejo campus of Mission Hospital, The Mind and Memory Program (MMP) provides a structured program of therapy. The brainchild of AFC’s Chief Executive Officer, Joanna Richardson-Jones, the program is the first of its kind in the country. MMP is designed for individuals with both a memory and psychological disorder who need more support than can be provided through periodic visits with a therapist alone.
Benefits of the Program
Our program is designed to help people with a dementia and a psychological disorder to achieve their optimal level of mental health. Coming to MMP provides structure, cognitive stimulation, social interaction, and a purpose, and may help participants:
- Experience an improvement in overall mood, function and concentration
- Feel a decrease in symptoms of depression or anxiety
- Achieve specific, individualized treatment goals such as improved communication, independence and coping skills
- Enjoy an improvement in family relationships through improved symptom management and coping
- Enhance relationships and make new friends through increased socialization
Caregivers find respite from the ongoing demands of caring for a loved one. They can also rest assured that their family member is in a supportive, caring environment designed to expertly address each participant’s unique issues and maintain their dignity.
In the Mind & Memory Program, group therapy, individualized treatment and enrichment activities play an important role in this highly therapeutic program. Our experienced staff provides the following services in addition to a structured program tailored to each participant:
- Crisis intervention
- Diagnosis of psychiatric disorders
- Psychological Evaluations
- Medication Management
- Family Therapy
- Relaxation/Stress Management
- Anger Management
- Healthy Relationships
- Co-occurring Disorders
- Life Skills
- Communications Skills
- Grief and Loss Support
- Conflict Management
- Confidence Building
Some of the more common memory disorders we treat include:
- Alzheimer’s Disease
- Mild Cognitive Impairment (MCI)
- Early Onset Alzheimer’s
- Vascular Dementia (VD)
In addition, our patients may suffer from any one of the following:
- Depression/Major Depressive Disorder
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
Services are provided by:
- A psychiatrist
- Case managers
- Others who specialize in caring for people with a dual diagnosis.
To enroll in the MMP program, call the MMP Market Development Manager at (949) 364-4203. A physician referral is welcome, but not required.
Services at the MMP are covered by Medicare and many commercial insurance plans. Scholarships are also available. For assistance in determining the eligibility of insurance coverage, call (949) 364-4203.
Hours of Operation & Transportation
The program is open Monday – Friday from 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Participants may attend up to four days a week. Transportation to and from MMP is available. Onsite snacks and meals are included in the cost of the program.
Contact us today for a visit!
The Mind and Memory Program at Mission
27800 Medical Center Rd, Ste. 108
Mission Viejo, CA 92691
Phone: (949) 364-4203
Directions to the program can be found on the Mission Find My Way app, available from the Apple Store or Google Play.